WTB: 2010 and newer F800ST or F800GT - Northeastern US - BMW Sport Riders & Racers Forum

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    Hello folks,

I’m new to BMW but not to motorcycles. After a long search I’m looking for an ST / GT with lowered suspension / low seat combo with hard bags. I live in NY state near West Point military academy. I’d want to inspect the bike and service records and would pay for an inspection by a reputable dealer. New England, NY, CT, NJ, PA areas.

Please PM if you are looking to sell.

Thanks,
    Anthony
    Last edited by afiore; 11-27-20 at 09:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    You might broaden your search to the GT line. The prices aren't that much different.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    You might broaden your search to the GT line. The prices aren't that much different.

Chris
    Thanks Chris. I will update my post. Hate to ask, but would you please add GT to my title.
    Best,
    Anthony

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Done. The GT is basically the second iteration of the ST. The ST was an excellent bike, but the owners had a few things they felt could be improved upon. Those came out in the GT in 2013. Prices have dropped on the GT to the point there probably isn't much difference between the two models.

My guess is that you live somewhere in the Greenwood Village area of Colorado by your IP address. You might wish to add that to your profile. (Hint, hint. ) Searchtempest can be your friend. It's a search engine that looks at all the Craigslist ads and brings you results for your search criteria. Surprisingly, there's not a lot of F800GTs for sale right now. Here's the link to get you started.
    https://www.searchtempest.com/search...ined#gsc.tab=0

Change the search term to F800ST to look for those as well.

We have some listings in the Classifieds section. For something out of the local area, you might consider a "fly and ride". I did something like that for the previous bike to my F800GT. I did a one-way car rental to Couer d'Alene to pick up a Honda NT700V, and then rode it home 350 miles. Wonderful experience and a memory I won't forget.

Chris

2 Days Ago
    BMW of Tyrone, PA has one as does Morton's BMW in Fredricksburg, VA

Real Name
    Randy
    8 Hours Ago
    Good luck in your search. I have a 2010 ST. I felt lucky to get it. ( The previous owner took meticulous care of my bike.) I love it and have no desire for anything else. When you find it I believe that you will be happy with your choice.
    Randy
    2010 F800ST 

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. There is a ST for sale locally...a little older and more miles than what I was looking for. I sat on it and just was able to flatfoot it. Some rust on the fasteners, a few scratches but has its cases and trunk. Finding the low suspension is not so easy.
    Best,Anthony

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Check for the recalls if you're seriously looking at the ST.

Also, I'd look into things like the stator and the rear hub. There's some threads on both subjects in the ST's area of the forum. I'm not really familiar with them because they seem to have not affected the later GT. Hopefully, someone a lot more knowledgeable will chime in.

Regarding the height, you may not need a lowered version. Seat height is not just a measurement. The sides of the seat slope down allowing me to get my feet down comfortably. I don't "flat foot" the bike, but I've never been able to. Depending on how you set the rear shock, you'll find the suspension also settles down when you get on the bike. For reference, I'm only 5'6" with a 28 inch inseam.

Chris

Real Name
    Randy
    8 Hours Ago
    Anthony, I missed the part that you were height-challenged. I have a 29" inseam and I too have problems finding a bike that fits. My ST is also a lowered model. It was still a little taller than I liked. I added a Terry Adcox seat which helped considerably. https://www.terryscustomseats.com/
    Terry's seats are all-day comfortable and very accommodating to us short folks. The stock seat on my ST was very uncomfortable and the low seat was even worse. Terry's seats use your stock seat pan with about half an inch of padding.
    I would also stick to your guns with going for a 2010 or later model. As you can easily research on this forum the early F800's had problems. Those problems seem to have been largely resolved by 2010. In the past year I have put on over 10K miles on my bike and the only major problem I have had has been my steering head bearings going bad. That problem I will tear into today
    2010 F800ST 

2 Weeks Ago
    I think I may have found one...factory lowered suspension and seat. Rear bearing replaced. No other issues.....
    Better price than one listed But will have to be shipped. Opinions welcome. See link in next post (apparently I cannot post a link until I have 5 posts)

Best,
    Anthony

2 Weeks Ago

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Personally, unless you can get the price down to around $5000, I'd wait. Beautiful bike, but that's about $2K more than I would expect for an 11 year old bike.

As a lowered bike, you'll find many will pass on it too. You want it...but that doesn't mean everyone else will. So you have some power in the negotiations. After all, for the next several months, this is a buyer's market.

Chris

Real Name
    Ian
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    That bike is way overpriced. I would download an app like CSmart which will allow you to do a search on Craigslist by key search words, ie BMW F800ST F800GT, and all regions. In my area San Francisco there is this bike https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy...228157114.html which could be had for $5500. While the winter is not the best time to do a fly and ride that's how I bought mine some 6 years ago sight unseen. If you find a good example you can ask someone on the board if convenient to check it out. Having a bike shipped is pretty inexpensive. Good luck.

2 Days Ago
    There is a nice 2013 GT on the BMWMOA Marketplace 4000 miles. A little pricy at $6800.

Here is the link. http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classi...ing-22644.aspx

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Just for grins yesterday, I looked up "F800GT" in Cycle Trader and found 28. I also noticed that the prices varied greatly...like from $5500 to over $10K. Since they are all basically the same bike till about 2017 when they introduced ride-by-wire...you can get a great deal on a GT with low miles and in virtually new condition.

Chris

Real Name
    James Sadilek
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '72 R60/5
    Agreeing with Chris about Cycle Trader. The Cycle Trader has several possible search filters so that one can zero in on precisely what one wishes to see. I found exactly what I was looking for on Cycle Trader from a BMW dealer in Concord CA. A Valencia Orange 2014 F800 GT. It has all the optional factory bells and whistles and 17.5K on the odometer. The dealer performed the 18K service, including brake flush, fitted two new tires, and included a 90 day warranty.

Additionally, the previous owner, who bought it new, added lots of extras, BMW sport bags, BMW top box, custom seat, bar risers, Clearwater Darla running lights, Throttlemeister bar ends (throttle lock) Wunderlich instrument cluster cover, Ztechnik windscreen, side stand enlarger, and probably some other stuff I haven't yet discovered. I didn't want to ride an unfamiliar bike in the insane California Bay Area traffic, in addition to perhaps exposing myself to the Covid virus, so it is being delivered. It went on the big blue truck (Haul Bikes) November 20 and being delivered here this coming mid-week.

Goin' to take a week just to get the smile off my face. Haven't bought a motorcycle for more than fifteen years. Still two more in the garage, they are like Lay's Potato Chips. You can't have just one.

James Sadilek -- ccwatchmaker
    In the garage: 1972 BMW R60/5 - 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim - 2014 F800 GT

19. Likes Daboo, Sundog52 liked this post

2 Weeks Ago
    I found a 2013 F800GT with about 8,250 miles less than 50 miles away from my house. Like James’ new bike, congratulations by the way, it is Valencia orange, has all the factory bells and whistles and is in beautiful condition and was just serviced. The only mod is a Leo Vince aftermarket exhaust, that I thought was kind of loud at first but did sound like a purrrrr on the way home.
    When I first sat on the bike, I was up on the balls of my feet and was concerned it was too tall. The seller wasn’t sure which seat was on it and thought it was a low seat.....which concerned more so even though I loved everything else about the bike, I did not put a deposit hold to think more about it. Later at home, I asked the seller to send me the seat number, I searched online and it came up as a standard seat so I immediately contacted him and told him I wanted the bike figuring I can always go down 1-2 seat heights. The ride home was fun but challenging with temps in the mid 40’s with lots of fog and wet mist but no rain. I stayed off the highways and took backroads that are wonderful to ride in the Hudson Valley when it’s nice out, not so great today on a new bike and some patchy wet fog.
    The bike was great to ride. Smooth engine with really awesome acceleration. Nice and light. Easy to flick left and right to feel its balance. I was surprised how high the stock pegs are even for a shorty like me. Did a lot of left food down only stops which were smooth and easy BUT I still want a firmer two feet on the ground feel so either I’ll try to a swap with an extra low seat or perhaps have the sock seat reshaped to be a little narrower and lower. Thanks for everyone’s help and encouragement. Here’s the ad on Cycle Trader until it gets taken down: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...800-5014859910
    Best,
    Anthony

21. Likes ccwatchmaker liked this post

Real Name
    James Sadilek
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '72 R60/5
    Beautiful bike! Congrats. With the custom seat on my GT, I can easily get both feet down flat; I'm 5' 10". Down from my youthful 6'+. One leg about 1/2" short from a bicycle crash broken hip. You are no doubt aware that lower pegs are available in the aftermarket. My bike has both lower pegs and bar risers. About the only thing not upgraded on my bike is the exhaust. Most likely because it was a California bike. The California Air Resources Board is strict about changes that might result in increased emissions.

Be safe.

James Sadilek -- ccwatchmaker
    In the garage: 1972 BMW R60/5 - 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim - 2014 F800 GT

Real Name
    Geoff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    I've got one just like it! Had to change out the Standard seat for a Comfort version though. At 5' 10" (30" inseam), both feet are flat on the ground when stopped. You have a great bike there! Now for farkles....

Ride Safe
    Sundog 

12-14-20
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Done. The GT is basically the second iteration of the ST. The ST was an excellent bike, but the owners had a few things they felt could be improved upon. Those came out in the GT in 2013. Prices have dropped on the GT to the point there probably isn't much difference between the two models.

My guess is that you live somewhere in the Greenwood Village area of Colorado by your IP address. You might wish to add that to your profile. (Hint, hint. ) Searchtempest can be your friend. It's a search engine that looks at all the Craigslist ads and brings you results for your search criteria. Surprisingly, there's not a lot of F800GTs for sale right now. Here's the link to get you started.

Change the search term to F800ST to look for those as well.

We have some listings in the Classifieds section. For something out of the local area, you might consider a "fly and ride". I did something like that for the previous bike to my F800GT. I did a one-way car rental to Couer d'Alene to pick up a Honda NT700V, and then rode it home 350 miles. Wonderful experience and a memory I won't forget.

Chris
    Nathan from SearchTempest here. Just ran across this in my Google alerts and wanted to mention that you can actually search both terms at once by entering this in the keywords:

F800GT | F800ST

(You make the vertical line 'pipe' symbol, which represents an 'OR' search, by holding shift and hitting the \ key.)

Figured it might save you guys some time. Glad the site is useful for you!